View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #401
technogremlin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
While you do have a point here it can also be inspirational to play with a number of different synths
I do agree, but 'getting inspired' and 'producing a composition' have not been one and the same thing in my experience. I'm still looking back at my hardware days when I was so much more productive, both in quantity and in quality.

My last hardware setup consisted of a DX7, DX100, ESQ-1 and a K1rII. Those synths together covered such a wide sonic range that I didn't need anything else (the DX100 was simply expanding the FM-parts as those synths where mono-timbral). It also means I had such a deep understanding of these synths that I could get anything I wanted from them (withing their sonic range of course). I once had a discussion with Robert Jan Stips (of Supersister fame) who was demoing for PPG, that I could get a certain PPG-sound quite closely from a DX7. When I came home from the show I programmed it right away just to prove him wrong (he thought it couldn't be done), took me just about an hour to do it. I must add to this that I actually had formal training in FM-programming (loooooooong ago)

Back in those days I got inspiration from playing with synths I didn't own myself, in shops and on sales-shows. Then when I came back home it was fun AND instructional to try and get those sounds from my own gear.

I'm limiting myself because I really want to get that experience back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Oh & since you quoted me slightly out of context earlier here it is right back at you with bells on.
Aaaaaahhh.... you will burn in hell for that one...

technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote