View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 AM   #18
Larry Kriz
Human being with feelings

I was reading through this and have to admit to being a little confused too. But someone mentioned Drumagog, and that's what I've been using for many years to do drum sample replacement. It sounds like that's what Codeseven was asking about. Even if it's not helpful to Codeseven, my response might be interesting to someone else.

For the simple purpose of changing the sound of a snare, or a kick, or a tom, into a different sounding snare, or kick, or tom, Drumagog works really well. It comes with a lot of excellent sample/GOG files. I don't know if it's still available, but Steven Slate had released a set of sample/GOG files many years ago that I still use to this day (more in the vein of hard rock or metal or classic rock). I think Slate has their own version of a drum sample replacer, so those samples are likely included there. You can make your own GOG files too using WAV samples that you recorded yourself. Drumagog's sample library includes some drum machine sounds which would be great for hip hop or techno.

Drumagog can work one of two ways: it has it's own built-in transient detection algorithm that works in real time (meaning it does it's thing during playback as it's "listening" to the recorded track) or you can trigger it with a MIDI file. I've used it both ways and prefer the MIDI file option. Creating a MIDI file/item from the transients of the original audio item gives you better accuracy of placement and control of the volume of each hit. Drumagog's own detection system is often not in perfect alignment. Mis-triggers would be a deal breaker for anyone I would think. But that means you have to create a MIDI item for each drum track. A little tedious but worth the effort in the long run.

I often just use Drumagog to embellish the original sound, but I also use it for flat out replacement. It can be a lifesaver for kits that don't sound so good to begin with. I rarely have any say about what a client brings into my studio so I'm forced to do the best I can with the options I have available to me. Anyway... I hope this helps.

Last edited by Larry Kriz; 01-15-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Larry Kriz is offline   Reply With Quote