View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
Stu
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgethedifferent View Post
At least I can say it's only a toy. I don't know whether there were A/D converters or pres but the sound was thin like a tracing paper. Why the cheapest desk to ever consider is probably Toft and it's still waaaay cheaper than sound we really like: API, Neve...? The only pres I used that sound really 'full' were old WSW. And the chapest set of A/D converters that will do the job you're expecting is today probably RME Multiface or such.

I don't know A&H but for similar (to Mackie) price I wouldn't expect a miracle. Especially in reggae/dub you're looking for full-bodied low end. The lottery seems to be your quick hope but seriously: something like 4 x WSW for critical tracks (db, snare, bass, voice) + 'old' RME Multiface looks like the cheapest solution for that.
If someone had a hard time getting good results with the Zed R16, it would be down to poor engineering skills and nothing to do with the desk. Obviously we would all love to be recording with Neve, SSL, API or whatever, but the fact of the matter is that there is plenty of great sounding music that is being produced that has been nowhere near anything of that price tag.

I've been in the fortunate position to have used some very high end gear, including large format desks from the likes of Neve and Amek. Of course they sound superior to something like this A&H desk, but enough to stop you making great recordings and mixes? No, it's the final 1% we're talking about here, and to suggest that it is pointless getting a desk unless you can afford at least a Toft is a strange way of looking at it in my opinion.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote