Thread: Laptop opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
For fun I just ran some Cinebench r20 tests.

-My i7-5700HQ laptop scored 499. Cinebench r15 score was 300 vs. 711 listed online so it's pretty much screwed. (note the thermal issues are much worse than they should be)

-My first gen i7-950 desktop with a chip released in 2009 scored 916!

-The AMD 3700X (8-core) shown yesterday scored 4806, and there's also 12 and 16-core ships! (O.O)

So basically thermal problems have made my laptop far slower and less reliable than the old system it was meant to replace, and the new AMD chips are going to crush Intel unless you're spending insane amounts for server chips.

Looking forward to seeing DAW-Bench results and some tests from Scanproaudio which will better reflect performance for music.
Yah, I was just looking at benchmark sites. Turns out my 2012 i5-3210 still runs with some of todays midline offerings lol, like the popular 7200 would be like a 15% single thread improvement, which doesn't give me confidence. I can see I'm going to have to be careful.

Is core count important in Reaper? For instance I only have two cores now. If I had 4 does that give twice as much performance? Not necessarily, right? Some of these processors have lots of cores and show high benchmarks, but have low base speeds which makes me nervous in light of the throttling issues you speak of. Your 5700 should still have a high base rate at 2.7 Ghz and so I'd think still decent performance, do you think it's going below that? While your 950 with its base 3 Ghz should be slower according to the site but is faster in practice. Which all makes me think it's still all about the Ghz.

I gotta say, I'm rather disappointed. Isn't computer power supposed to double every year or something? What's this 15% in 7 years crap???
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote