View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #55
Tod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolff View Post
So I started with Kontakt until I worked out I had to buy it. Then I made my own kit using the Kontakt multi-mic samples in Ableton Live.
Okay, I understand, although I'm not sure how you managed it with Kontakt, but that's okay.

Quote:
Now I've moved to Reaper, I have modified Suleiman's Reaper project to use the Kontakt Multi-mic samples (I've got 16GB). I am tempted to just use his Stereo samples - but I process my room and overhead mics differently, so I really love your multi-mic pack. Have you posted elsewhere in the forum how you run your different mic samples into the mixing desk? All OH's to an OH track? Same for Room Mic?
In Kontakt they are set up so you can set your own levels for each drum kit piece, OH, close and Room where it's available. You also have the Over & Under with most of the snares. I had Kontakt set up so you could adjust the volume of each mic, as well as pan, and velocity intensity for each kit piece. In other words you could set up the mix of each of the kit pieces before they went to the DAW. Each kit piece has it's own Reaper output. I opted for this rather then separate OH and Room mic outputs, because I think it gives you better overall control. Of course there's the nostalgia or a real miced drum kit, but I feel that way of doing it doesn't have as much control of the sound.

Quote:
Ok, so does that make Tom 1 Mid Tom and Tom 2 Low Tom? Or Tom 1 High tom and Tom 2 Mid Tom?
Tom 1 is Hi, Tom 2 is mid, and Tom 3 is the floor tom. Like I said, Tom 4 was created from Tom 3. If they aren't listed that way, then it's an oversight on my part.

Quote:
I have a blog post (https://tatius-wolff.blogspot.com.au...-drum-kit.html) about how made my drums in Ableton, as I mixed sounds from MT Power Drum Kit 2, your SM Drums, The Metal Kick Drum and some Ableton's kits to make a mega drum kit (13,15,16,17" cymbals, 8,10,12" splash, China, ride, 3 toms, 2 floor toms, 2 kicks, hi-hat). I'm really hoping to re-create that in Reaper - I'd be happy to share if I pull it off.
Okay, it looks like you know what you are doing wolff, and I urge you to get Kontakt, becuase Kontakt makes it easy to do what you're trying to do.

In fact, the Kontakt version not only has the full kit instrument version, but I also included the separate kit pieces in separate instruments, just so folks could do exactly what you're talking about. That way they can build there drum kits with what ever pieces they want, from where ever get them.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote