View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #127
ted
Human being with feelings

Default ted's back ( . ) ( . )

here comes a huge surprise for you !!!!!!!!!
i only use midi to record drum tracks from boss dr-770 drum machine..
all else is a direct mono or stereo input.............

stereo inputs are loaded from a roland p-330 (piano) and 3 e-mu, synth modules, the b-3, proteus 2000 and virtuoso 2000.

and, an antares avp-1 vocal producer module for vocals..single channel input and selectable, 1 or 2 channel output.. nice tricks you can do with this module..

the antares is loaded from input of a 2 channel, audiobuddy pre-amp w/selectable phantom power.....

2nd channel of audiobuddy is for guitar/bass input...

all of this is input directly into dual layla 20's... i use 14 of the 16 tracks i have available...

reference headphone output is monitored thru a sony w-33 digital cd recorder... which is feed thru spdif 24bit digital output on layla 20

the sony w-33 has a routine that takes the last 8 bits of a 24 bit word and interweaves into 1st 16 bits.... i could find no other recorder that did not simply chop off the last 8 bits to achieve 16 bits for cd recording... computers do the same thing.. they will only record data at 24 bits.... the w-33 gives me a true 24 bit recording... it is true, that they ain't much info in those last 8 bits of word,,, but, why waste 'em..

final recorded output is also monitored, thru the layla 20, into event, studio 8 reference monitors....

it has been trial, error, pay to play, all the way...

also i should add, that i found somewhere a xp program (probably mircosofts) that re-indexes entire system each time there is a boot... having done some rpg (ibm) mini-mainframe programing in another life (1970's and i ran from programing, drove me nuts !!!)... i found that scrambled indexes/pointers are a computer's worse nightmare... not so much with indexed files, but with files that use pointers to get from point a to b... them baby's are #1 reason most business software developer's help centers exist and can continue to make a profit.....

as to the vst question,, i'm gonna be straight up with you.. the sonnox vst's are by far, the best vst's i've used.. included in package are the native: dynamics, eq, inflator, limiter, reverb and transmod vst's...

i use the sonnox eq and reverb, almost exclusively and have other good options to choose from ...it is the ease of use, and the sonnox, common sense approach to the end user's ease of use of vst's...that makes them really simple to use and understand.. they sound really great and work flawlessly with reamote...

been at this song-writer, producer thing since feb. 2009... started gigging in 1964.. now, retired and lovin' it...

take care .........

regards,
ted

STUDENT: School of Hard Knocks

Last edited by ted; 11-17-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spellin'
ted is offline   Reply With Quote