View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #148
M4dM4tt
Human being with feelings

Default My Experience and Questions

Hey guys, hey hamish (thanks for the thread!)

I just quickly tried and setup my reamote.
I used my master workstation (8core 4.1GHz 16GB RAM) and an old Laptop (Dual Core 2.1GHz 4GB RAM). both on Windows 10 64bit.

To establish a connection i abused my old router as LANhub and connected Master and Slave with a normal ethernet cable (they didn't see each otehr in windows, but by dialing in the slaves automatically assigned IP it worked).

Now, the thing is, that there seems to be NO WAY to get anywhere near synchronous processing with this setup, and i intended to use the Laptop as additional processing power for my realtime setup in the band (everything is life processed. Drums Bass and Guitar).
I wasn't able to get reamote latencies under 30ms.

@Hamish
would you say it is even possible to get this to work with the proper gear (like a real switch and good cables, or even just a good cross cable?)?

or is this more intended for editing and mixing, when realtime processing doesn't matter as much?

Thanks for your input, and i hope my post also helps someone having some old stuff laying around and isn't in the particular need for realtime reamote processing.