View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #104
funkster1
Human being with feelings

OK, after some more dabbling I've come to the conclusion that LiteStep is out of the race for me. It really doesn't want to play nice on my box, even after adjusting the step.rc, registry entries et all. Right after a boot, windows will come up and hang at the welcome screen, although OS & litestep both seem to be loaded and all. I can ctrl-alt-del to call taskmanager, then I have to kill litestep and recall it via commandline. Only THEN will it work for me, until next reboot.
Also it kicks off my auto start items, even if only few. One is a virtual desktop manager called 'Dexpot', and the other is a very useful script-collection put in a big wrapper called 'Ac'ticAid', based on AHK and distributed by a german IT magazine called c't. I really don't wanna miss that tool anymore.

I think I'll stay with Geoshell, which works a treat, or even keep that damn explorershell, which after all, isn't really that much more ressource hungry than the others on my box. Of course, it is also extremely streamlined and optimised for my needs (my PC that is, not explorer shell).

Re: SP3, all seems quite well and stable at present. I'm using an Athlon XP 2200+ btw, with 1 GB of RAM & 3 HDD's on a NForce2 based mobo, Delta 1010LT & ATI 7000/VE 64MB.

If I want to gain more power, I will need to upgrade to a better CPU/RAM/Mobo anyway, so I don't really see the need to risk an unstable system.

Just my 2 cents of course, IMO YMMV etc. pp.

Cheers and merry x-mas to ya all

Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote