Thread: 70s
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #88
bladerunner
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
I think you'll find that people always grown old and "ground down", way before the "money system" existed.
That's just a fact of nature.

People tend to think more conservatively with age, but not always, and even so it's not always a bad thing; because they also have the advantage of experience (whether they make good use of it or not), and the reverse can be true of younger people.

Nostalgia doesn't have to be blinding - in small doses it can be positive or even neccessary, giving a sense of continuity and purpose.

I'm not a very nostalgic person - and even though music is a big part of my life, I wouldn't volunteer to go back to the 70s

But to reject the very notion that aspects of life and of musical experience could actually be richer in the past seems odd.

That, to me, could easily be a psychological protection mechanism, just as much as overblown nostalgia is.

You said something that stood out earlier - "it's not healthy to think that way".
That kind of proscription always makes me wary - and I wondered if you might be talking as much to yourself as to us?

Anyway, it's something to think about
Exactly - it's all stuff to think about. And yes, I've been very prone to extended periods of looking backwards - usually in harder times - when I'm emotionally weaker - I guess I associate nostalgia with comfort and one seeks comfort much moreso in times of worry and stress.

I absolutely agree that similar circumstances existed before capitalism and there are many arguments to say that we have greatly benefited from it (it is, after all, an extremely robust system of economy). But that's not to say we can't rise above it at some point and greatly extend our lifespans simply by the removal of certain key factors.