View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #18
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Ive been recording my voice in a pro studio recently. Asked the engineer if I could use my Rode Classic 1 instead of their U87.
My voice definitely sounded way better through the Rode, but then the engineer said "of course, I can get the same sound from the U87 with eq anyway..." Kinda bursts your bubble.

But as someone else said, a lot of it is getting so your ears are "trained" by experience to hear subtle differences. And then you get old and go deaf.
U87's should usually be pretty nice. I don't have one...
Although I heard a recording someone who was very proud of having a U87 made one night. "... my U87... U87... my U87... with my U87" was the mantra. It sounded like an anemic 57. Part of the problem was he had it facing backwards. That'll usually be a problem. Should have still been a warm blooded recording of that but more was wrong.

Just a silly story from one night. Probably not related to your experience. Or your point of different mics suite different voices.

Aside, I thought there was a particular mic with a similar capsule that people are modding in lieu of a U87. Can't remember it right now. Might try that route (if I can remember what it is).

Last edited by serr; 01-21-2020 at 10:12 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote