View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #38
dub tree
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
For me, it's a bit of a dealkiller when something like a high or low pass filter uses a slider going from 0 to 1 instead of frequencies. Even if there's an explanation buried somewhere in the videos, my tendency is to play with something for a minute and immediately either love, leave for future investigation or discard, and I end up discarding most of these for reasons like this.
The reasoning is that you are supposed to use your ears. Too often we get caught up in autopilot, thinking "always hipass at 50hz " or whatever, so we just find 50hz on the readout and cut there. But sometimes those rules have exceptions that we may tend to overlook because we are so used to doing things the way they are "supposed to be" done.

The lack of a detailed readout is supposed to inspire more organic results. Tweak it til it sounds good. Mix with your ears, not your eyes and some chart of numbers. At least that's the impression I get from this design choice.

Also, Chris is a guitarist, and a lot of guitar pedals and amps are designed this way, so maybe that has something to do with the underlying philosophy of the UX. Rather than presets or values, it's like "turn this knob to 12 o'clock and that knob to 4 o'clock"
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote