View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #2889
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Not sure I would expect it to behave this way. I'd expect the 4 Send channels to replace the 4 regular channels, with the channels either side remaining unaffected (ie not moving on the surface).

When the Sends Zone is exited, the regular channels return. Because the Sends Zone is likely to only be in effect temporarily, the presence of this 'hole' in the regular channels is less off-putting than having all the channels jump right.
You are 100% correct -- we are taking over a subset of the Control Surface Widgets, which has nothing to do with Track Navigation, thanks for the correction, always appreciated.

Quote:
Being able to bank the regular channels 'underneath' the hole created by the Sends Zone means you will still be able to access those channels that disappear when the Sends Zone is active. When the Sends Zone is de-activated, the channels that fill the hole reflect any banking that has taken place, as you said.
Yup.

Quote:
The important thing for me would be to allow the selection of another regular channel, whilst the Send Zone is active, and have that channel's sends replace the initially selected channel's sends on the Send Zone widgets, without first having to exit the Sends Zone.
I think that comes for free if we take the following approach, which is also hopefully the simplest and most intuitive:

If you Activate a Zone called "Sends" and it does not include the BankLeft and BankRight Widgets, then they are not taken over and they continue to function in the "Home" Zone context, banking Tracks.

However, if those Widgets are in the "Sends" Zone, they are taken over and do whatever the "Sends" Zone says.

As far as Selecting another Track, we can just give the "Sends" Zone a SelectedTrack Navigator and there will be no need to go in and out of Sends mode.

This shows the power of the separation of Navigation and Activation -- in this case he "Sends" Zone is still activated while the "Sends" Zone itself gets Navigated to point to a new Track.

Code:
Zone Sends 
   Navigator SelectedTrackNavigator

As far as the bleed through, I think that is simply the fact that, as in the Banking case, if we want to take over the Widget we must explicitly say so.

So if we want to prevent this:

Code:
Zone Home
   RotaryPush ToggleZone TrackPanWidth
from happening when the "Sends" Zone is activated we must explicitly say so:

Code:
Zone Sends
    RotaryPush NoAction
I think, with those constraints, we can actually build this.

Anyone see any holes ?
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote