View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 04:53 AM   #7
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
Why would big studios still use multi thousand Dollar hardware setups when they could just use cheap plugins. Think about that.
But it also depends on music genre. For electronic music VSTs are good enough but looking at any serious studio that records rock or older music, they use hardware for a reason. I do 60's music and must say that using VSTs can be a headache to get it to sound like it should. I have to mix some analog elements in it, starting with recording through analog mixing desk, than maybe adding reverb, delay, distortion etc all through mixer or tube preamps just so I can get some mojo in the mix. Yes I have VST saturations and what ever but it just doesn't sound the same.
On the other hand, when I mix electronic music, it's only VSTs, ever VST reverbs. It can sound somewhat plastic but usually that suits it ok.
When you are running a big studio you want to impress clients with something special and expensive. You don't want to give the impression that the only benefits are the special recording rooms and the expertise on hand. You want to sell the whole package, which could include expensive looking gear that can be name checked - some of which will still be better anyway.

Generally things don't just change overnight. Hardware is a workflow as much as anything.

Some hardware will inevitably be better to use than some software, or not perfectly emulated.

If you are used to a hardware workflow that is what you will want. If it impresses clients and keeps you happy..

You were discusssing DSP reverbs specifically.
If however you were to compare a real top reverb plate or spring or real sound chamber to a digital recreation that could be something else again. The real hardware brings more limitations but could sound more authentic on the recording.

Many businesses require a bit of smoke and mirrors to operate.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote