View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #113
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
How about an option to lock edits to single track? Then if you are working on cello track, you could just drag-copy notes from viola or bass track (or even from both at the same time) and they would drop to cello track because the "edit target lock" is enabled on cello track.
If "Edit target lock" is disabled, then the target track of drag-and-drop operations are based on the source track of each event. I.e. if you drag-copy viola, cello and bass notes at the same time each copy will be dropped to their own track. This is of course the default behaviour. Enabling "Edit traget lock" would be necessary only occasionally.

jnif
That sounds like a good workable idea, locking to a target track when the edit needs to cross from one track to another. It could stay enabled when you are sort of collecting data from several other tracks to the one you are targeting to and you wouldn't need to set a target each time. I think I like it. That's sort of (but not exactly) how I understood the z-order concept described earlier (in the Cubase example)

There still can be ambiguity with multiple possible target items at the target time on the same track. Like when you work on a (single) drum track with parallel items for kick/snare/hihat/etc. and want to copy a hihat variation forward (or you use that awesome workflow with key-switch articulation items Lawrence described earlier - deserves a thread, that one - you don't want stuff dragged into these). If Reaper had some concept of "item lanes" the same principle could be used, but that would be stretching our luck I guess .

@Lawrence: That works for transferring in place, but jnif's idea can work for mouse drag/copy as well as define the target for clipboard cut/copy/paste, so it can do both.

Last edited by gofer; 11-24-2012 at 10:58 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote