View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #102
medicine tactic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
3. Display full project timeline and grid lines in the Piano Roll View. Grid and timeline should be visible also in empty areas between items. It should be possible to scroll the view to any location of the project in Piano Roll View even if there are no MIDI items there.
I think the empty areas between items should be indicated somehow, because it's a useful piece of information to have, and it provides a hit area for item creation, a la Studio One. I'd love a grid there, just a visually distinct one.

Quote:
4. Create new items automatically when MIDI events are added to empty area of a track.
This can go a lot of ways. Logic extends the prior item, or creates a new item if no item exists. Studio One allows you to draw a new item in the area first, which I like.

Quote:
5. Extend MIDI items automatically when MIDI events are moved outside existing item, or added close to the edge of existing item.
I like Cubase's behavior here: it just lets you drag the items out of bounds. I figure if out of bounds events are supported, then lets really support them. Especially if you're editing an item that's been shortened, but still want access to all its events. Supporting this no man's land, and then leaving it untouchable (without extending item borders) just feels wrong to me. I'm probably alone on this one, though.

Quote:
6. Option to disable automatic item creation and extending described in requirements 4 and 5.
Quote:
7. Easy MIDI editor view focusing (= zoom and scroll) to item(s) activated for editing, or to visible item(s).
This would be great. Something like FL Studio's zoom-to-selection feature. I'd even love smooth scrolling and rubber band scrolling like iOS and FL Studio! This may sound frivolous, but smooth visual transitions help maintain a frame of reference. Abrupt transitions can be disorienting.

Last edited by medicine tactic; 11-23-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added jnif
medicine tactic is offline   Reply With Quote