View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #21
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Speakers are way more linear than I previously believed. There are some pretty intense papers out there showing just that.

Even if we were to be EXTREMELY generous and give a 5% deviation from linear (which is nowhere near how close an impulse will actually null with its live chain), you would never in a billion years come close to even being within that tolerance in 99.9% of the rooms, mics and signal chains most people have access to.
My experience with guitar speakers tells me just the opposite. Turn down an amp to speaking volume (tube or solid state) and a British style speaker will have much more high frequency detail in balance with the rest of the spectrum. And as you turn it up, the speaker will compress more, and the mids will dominate the spectrum. But that isn't always true. Some American style speakers sound dull and don't wake up until they are pushed. And both benefit in sound from being pushed, as long as you aren't pushing too hard. Unfortunately, you likely won't know until you damage a speaker or more. And an attenuator can be very useful for that, allowing to dial an amp's sweet spot to a speaker's sweet spot.

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-23-2019 at 09:02 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote