View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 04:52 AM   #18
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I was under the impression that 2.4ghz was more robust with a larger range.
Is that no longer the case?

I picked up a 50' powered USB extender cable years ago for emergency use to connect the MIDI controllers directly if I ran into an interference problem. Still never used it.

I have run into interference issues a few times. Battling wi-fi with a POS system I suspect (that's Point Of Sale, not...). I've never had both systems go down at once (remote desktop on one wi-fi channel and USB MIDI controllers on a 2nd).
5Ghz router certainly has a shorter range - not sure about robustness - but that's perfect for my needs. With our band setup we have the XR18 *and* the 2/4/5GHz router onstage (it replaced our main & stage snakes) with a long ethernet cable running from the router to a FOH laptop. THe FOH runs the main mix. On stage, the 5GHz band wifi (which is more reliable - less crowded than the 2.4Ghz band because of limited range and lower device availability) lets us run 6 monitor mixes on tablets/smartphones. We have double redundancy since, if the wifi connection craps out, the whole main & mon mixes can be managed from the hardwired FOH laptop. Equally, if the laptop craps out, we can run the whole show from the stage.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote