View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 07:42 AM   #21
Magicbuss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
He does leave out arrangement things though. Don't highpass electric guitars at all, you need that 80hz... ok but what about when the bass guitar is playing with a prominently beefy tone and always with the guitars, very common in metal for example. The hit-you-in-the-core bass tone isn't going to be helped by the boomy lows of a guitar, and if you reduce the lows you likely will mask them with the ones from the guitar. Usually better to just remove them completely, gently, and let the bass with it's much crisper low end dynamics take over.

Also sometimes you don't want a guitar, even when it's the only instrument playing, to hit the listener with 80hz kick. Some songs just don't call for that.

But that is avoiding what he said, which is very true, don't do anything by default. Except hit ctrl + s. Do that by default every time you think about it.
I dont agree with this guys stance on HPF at all (but i am otherwise a fan of his YT channel). If the tune is in E and there are chunky rhythm guitars riding on low E those guitars MIGHT need 80 hz. But in my mind loud guitars with alot of 80hz are seriously going to mess with the kick and bass. If you LPF filter commercial rock tunes (which I recommend) you wont hear much if any guitar below 100hz. 160hz (1st harmonic of 80hz) might be a better frequency to push in this case with a HPF at 50hz. If the part is jangley triads played on the top 3 strings WTF do i need 80 hz for?

Sorry, I am a BIG believer in HPF. Acoustic guitar in a dense track can be HP up 200 hz or more since its typically being used as a shaker with harmonic content.

Low end buildup and lo mid mud are the enemies of clarity and headroom. If there is a better way to clear out your low end for the kick and bass besides HPF i'd love to hear it.

Last edited by Magicbuss; 10-14-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote