View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #87
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Well, those plugins are intended for final mastering, but in making some rapid changes to the controls, it was using so much CPU that the audio started glitching, but settled down after I quit tweaking.
Since Sky is a limiter, it's something I'd only use on the master. MotherComp however is different; it's a compressor.

Some plugins' parameters can make glitching and it's not necessarily due to the CPU usage. It depends on the code, what a knob or slider is really doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
That said, when I started making the Sun rise in that plugin, a really nice edge started happening that was not like just adding high frequency EQ. I don't know what the algorithm is that's being used, but it caught my ear right away.
Code:
// Includes code from Tilt EQ by Liteon

I'm sure it's not just the Tilt EQ copied/pasted in there, but tilt EQ is quite useful so you might be appreciating its effect irrespective of anything else the plugin is doing. In that case, just use the Tilt EQ in Reaper on those tracks and save Sky for the master.

Plugins like tilt EQ, presence EQ, graphic EQ etc. can be some of the most useful plugins despite how overlooked they are. It's good to have a toolbox with a lot of different and seemingly simple tools.

Speaking of adding pleasing high end (and having a toolbox of useful plugins), you'd probably like Righteous4 by Airwindows. You have to learn how to use it first though (and the default settings are the worst possible ones).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote