View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #36
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
That's some "OG" nerd stuff right there.
LMAO! I had to go look that one up. One fun thing me and another friend who also had an Amiga did was to re-write all the most common Amiga error messages with our own text so instead of it saying something like "Read Error On Disk" on a bad floppy it would instead say something like "Disk Fucked Try Again".

Quote:
I just read about the Amiga series. Since I couldn't afford a PC at the time, I was out of the loop. It must've been weird seeing Windows PCs take over, if you were using an Amiga.
It was very weird. PCs only were doing 16 colors with an EGA card and there were no soundblaster type cards yet so it was all single cheezy speaker beeps on PCs. I was used to 4096 colors and four channel digital wave audio.

Another Amiga dood I knew wrote a module that made it so we could do photo icons on our Amigas which no OS had at the time. We had to use greyscale to do it, but it was pretty cool back then. I can still fire up virtual instances of all my old Amiga HDs using the FS_UAE Amiga emulator in Linux.

Quote:
Lol well I did notice a roughly 30%+ improvement in CPU use when switching from Windows 7 to Linux, so in that regard I can relate. And that was a carefully managed Windows 7 with whatever changes necessary to facilitate the DAW. Of course if I'd have switched to Kubuntu as my first distro I wouldn't have noticed as big an improvement. I'm glad I tried MX Linux first with Xfce and also apparently a low latency kernel by default (from what I gathered later). I'd have been willing to accept worse performance in Linux than Windows, but it was the opposite by a large margin.
I really don't see better performance in Linux as far as REAPER is concerned, and this is using the same hardware in both cases, but I do see equal performance, so it doesn't feel like I'm getting dinged by running Linux, and I don't have Microsoft breathing down my neck any longer which is a giant plus.

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-10-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote