View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #19
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Yes, user-friendly doesn't automatically mean everything is going to work perfectly. But, the minute something doesn't, it gets ugly. Fast.
Yes, and that's why I would expect Reaper devs might want leave this alone. Anyone migrating to Linux and expecting it to be a hassle-free experience--especially when running Windows software in it--I think their expectations are unreasonable. Those people don't need to be encouraged. If the devs' goals include trying to convince people to use Linux instead of Windows for some reason, maybe that'll get this happening. I doubt the additional Linux user base of Reaper is a significant financial incentive for adding a feature of this scope, since Linux users are a tiny portion of the market. As it is, I notice a lot of Linux DAW users are ignoring Reaper completely when it's brought up as an option, presumably since it isn't free/open-source software (despite its very reasonable license fee); I guess another reason might be that Reaper currently doesn't support LV2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
- In some cases like Waves, half of the trouble is because they don't implement the VST spec correctly so that they can do their own stuff like ILok and Waves' hub... plugin... thing... (I've never used their stuff).
- Samplers like EZDrummer are designed with the Windows file system and user folders in mind, so of course it's going to require some amount of fiddling around with Wine and symlinks to make the samples accessible.
Yeah it's a bit "all over the place" completely supporting Windows VST in Linux. I can see the forum filling up with complaints. If the "how to use Windows plugins in Linux" thread seems bad at 18 pages, imagine the complaints that the Reaper devs "need to fix" support for X and Y plugins with their specific differences, copy protection, and so on. I doubt people will just accept that Waves plugins "might not work" for instance since plugins like that are the ones which would cause the most concern for someone switching to Linux. Anyone using LinVST for plugins with no special copy protection (or file system requirements) has it easy. The real challenge, if bridging for Windows plugins, is to ensure the more problematic ones (in various regards) work correctly. It's probably not worth doing otherwise, in my opinion anyway, because it would seem like a half-assed attempt at something which is already available for free.

I think anyone discussing this needs to remember: Linux isn't meant to run Windows software. The fact it can is impressive. Expecting a DAW to hold your hand in that regard...ok well think of it this way: would you expect Reaper for Mac to run Windows plugins with no problems. Or do you expect to run Windows plugins in a DAW on your Android device. No one is talking about this for any other DAW, period.

If you want to use Linux, you should be expecting to be responsible for doing whatever "hacks" are required to force the OS to do what you want. And this is a "hack" and a half. Talking about "bringing more users into the fold" and "it would make it easier for new Linux users" yeah I get it, of course it would. But what about everything else lol. Linux still isn't Windows or OSX. Not even Ubuntu or Kubuntu for that matter are. Linux is still "the wild west of OSes" in some ways. You'll need more patience to use it no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
If Cockos were to do something to improve Linux plugin support they could take REAPER for Linux off the "experimental" back burner and tout it as mainstream like Windows and Mac versions so that plugin developers would see that a serious DAW for Linux exists.
I think Reaper for Linux's continuing "beta" status is more a case of "they haven't gotten around to changing the status on the site so it's not beta anymore".
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote