View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #32
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
First setback. I sent my son to collect the SDD disk ( M.2 Samsung ), as recommended by the "computer bloke" and just as my son handed it over, the fellow e-mailed me to tell me he had made a mistake as my computer was too old for this disk, instead I should take the WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2,5 inch.
This is about half the price. He reckons it won't be any slower but may have a shorter lifespan. Any thoughts on this?
That's what I was trying to point out above. Your logic board would only have one or the other (SATA or M.2). Only the high end machines aimed at video editors will have M.2 slots on the logic board.

And no your computer is not "too old"! It simply doesn't have the feature of an M.2 port on the logic board. "Too old" there is scammer talk. I'd never consider going back to wherever that is.

Don't go running out thinking you need to upgrade to M.2 either!
You would have been getting around 40MB/sec with your internal 5400rpm HDD.
Probably around 20MB/sec over the USB connection to the external.
(All worst case examples for discussion.)

A SSD connected to SATA2 will boost that up to 250MB/sec!
SATA3 (which you probably don't have) would be 500MB/sec.

You don't need to entertain going up to 1200MB/sec with an M.2
You'd never ever hit the max 250MB/sec with a SATA2 connected SSD with audio. You'd need to be editing 4k video before a M.2 drive made any sense.

Take a look at Crucial SSDs at B&H Photo Video
500GB for $60
1TB for $110
2TB on sale for $206

Crucial is one of the big flash chip makers like Samsung and these have 5 year warranty.

Last edited by serr; 07-19-2019 at 08:36 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote