View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #233
osxmidi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainframe View Post
On point as always! I'll have to try out the new version and will look into the links you posted. Thanks again for the software!
On a second note, is there a guide somewhere that explains debugging and sourcing problems with vsts and/or linvst? Which logs would be the most verbose? Most vsts I tried work fine for me but the Tokyo Dawn ones can make reaper crash at random moments. (ValhallaDSP works perfect, Voxengo too, dpmeter as well)
I use the Tokyo Dawn plugins for testing because they seem to test wine out a bit with whatever they are using.

Something like a wine unimplemented function error is pretty obvious but there can be other wine errors with hardly any useful error output.

Like, Waves Central just gives up when it's trying to install the actual vst(s) and there are no real useful errors to work from, anyway that waves central error has been reported to wine but not much has been done about it, maybe some dll overrides might help with it but it might not be easy to work out what Waves Central wants and why Wine is not giving Waves Central what it wants.

Also d2d1 doesn't produce much of a error message to work from even though it is causing some plugin crashes on my old system at least.

It can also be hardware/driver/wine dependent and d2d1 might work on some hardware but not on older hardware like my test system.

I also get d3d errors on my old test system which is to be expected as it's a old laptop.

Wine keeps on adding things, so some things might just work sometime down the track.

Errors like your one are probably down the line somewhere between wine and xlib and maybe wine can set off a bug that might be in a particular xlib version or there could be some library incompatibility going on with some distros and their versions.

Maybe making LinVst on the system/distro that is being used might help.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-24-2017 at 11:35 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote