View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #88
xpander
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
As for rtz - everyone is so used to it being the case on stop I dont see why play also being stop is a problem . Exactly as space bar acts. Any other use case is far rarer than stop because invariaby user wants to stop.
It doesn't really matter, you'd still have to figure out at least what will happen with the instant repeat feature that is now in Play control. Give it a new control button, hide it as an alternative option?

As for the case of Stop, Pause or both:
It's not only about the stop action itself, but from where you want to continue the playback. In some cases people don't want RTZ, they want to continue right from where they stopped. Reaper Stop won't do that, it will be the Pause, and then Stop after it if you need to use that also. This all is of course tied also to how we need and want to record, not only to playback. Not surprising then that there have been several threads where people have asked for and even got custom actions to get playback, record and stop behaviors they want. If you'd take out one separate control, you'd also reduce ways people can handle their transport and/or make it more complicated and option laded instead of being as simple as it is currently.

With a combined Play/Stop(RTZ) control, tell me how you'd do e.g. this simple and not rare procedure: You are recording and need to pause recording, possibly continuing from the spot where you paused. You hit Pause, edit cursor jumps to current location and you're ready to continue. But then you decide to stop recording at this moment and save the recorded media. You hit what? Hitting Play/Stop will continue recording, not what you wanted. Hitting Pause again will do the same. Yes, you could hit Play/Stop twice, but then you might also get tiny bit of recording you didn't want. At any rate, extrad effort for a thing there is currently no need.

This only to remind that people are not fine with only the current Stop feature, Pause could be equally important control in some cases. Personally I think they both deserve and need their own controls.

If e.g. the control size requirement goes by this imagined importance, Pause would have to be the same size. In v5 default transport, you'd see quite nice and logical way the three controls in question (Stop (RTZ)-Play-Pause) have been arranged. And current v6 has stop and pause grouped and same size too. Afais, the big problem there is more about where the Loop control is. Pretty simple edit to be offered to anybody, no matter how it would end up. I do use mouse constantly on transport controls, it took me one session to get used to the current arrangement. But I'm not expecting everybody be the same either, so I guess I'm impartial on that matter.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote