View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
vicenzajay
Human being with feelings

Default Got it....

And I agree with regard to the ears...but before I spend another 3 grand on an outboard summing mixer and some other outboard gear, I was looking for opinions from those experienced (as you are) with taking the mix back OTB after using Reaper to capture the audio.

I have already taken the step to have a buss compressor/EQ unit built for me (probably will have it in about a month or so). I'm pretty sold on the benefits of OTB buss compression as even using mediocre outboard compression (in my own opinion/experience) typically is a favorable improvement over ITB compression...both track and buss. Again, that's only my opinion.

Summing OTB, however, seems to generate a very heated discussion....therefore my question. At some point I very well may go that route anyway - but I'm not inclined to just "jump" on that gear bandwagon without 1) some opinions from folks doing it (or having tried it with no advantage) or 2) some practical how-to from folks doing this using Reaper as the DAW (as that's what I use). Since I'm not even at the point of knowing "what to do" to best route signals to/from a summing mixer, how pan settings translate to OTB summing, best way to patch buss compression/EQ in conjunction with a summer, etc. - I'm asking the questions hoping to get practical advice as well as a short tutorial on "how to".

Thanks for the viewpoint on hardware! I agree - I'm fairly happy with the converters on the RME unit...even more so after a few double blind tests done a few years back vs. Apogee and some other high end units. Although upgrading the A/D and D/A will probably happen in the future, I'm not in a hurry to do that just yet.
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote