View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #81
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermoonpro View Post
I wanted to report in. Did a show this weekend for 6 hours, no problems with reaper and this inluded using a VSTi for DJ purposes between sets. I'll also mention that venue's a/c was on the fritz, so it was hot conditions to say the least. For my rig I have:

Quad Core QX6850 (3.0Ghz)
4GB Ram
XP Pro 32bit
16 inputs, 4 outs (Stereo FOH and 2 monitor sends)
Maudio Profire Lightbridge
ASIO Buffer - 64 samples
Mackie Control Universal

Latency was a non factor (imperceptible to the human ear). I had eq,gate, compression on 8 channels, eq, compression on the other 8 channels. I had 3 different reverbs and 2 different delays set up on the aux for choices and 3 main vocal channels with different effects processing just to test the box.

Monitors had eq on every channel, plus an overall 32 band eq on the monitor masters.

Total CPU usage ranged between 30-40%

I can see why others might get "butt hurt" about the sound. We were previously using an A&H GL2400. The sound difference was dramatic. This is going to be our live rig from now on and I'll just keep the GL2400 and the FOH rack in the truck just in case.

Thanks to everyone that has been in this forum and for all their help with my questions.
Nice going quartermoonpro!
I've got to say you're a brave man to try this with windows though! Scarey... More props to Reaper then I guess.

Yeah, the sound quality of the little and medium size boards... Not good.
Reaper really feels (sounds) more like an SSL (SSL channel strips on every channel probably help - that's my starting point anyway). The difference is just as dramatic as using a real SSL or Neve compared to any of these "club" boards.

Being able to move around in a club and not tied to some awkward FOH location is just huge too. You can now go into those places with the FOH 'upstairs' in the back corner (where it is almost 100% impossible to mix) and have your band sound like an album.

Last edited by serr; 06-19-2012 at 02:29 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote