View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
stratman
Human being with feelings

Why not just connect the mic into the XLR socket on your Pod X3? I think you might have to use a dynamic mic because I’m not sure that an X3 provides phantom power. But an SM57 (dynamic mic) is good for guitar.

I’ve got a Line 6 Toneport UX1 which is, kind of, similar to an X3 but nowhere near as powerful.

Last night I was recording a trumpet using an SM57 connected to the mic input of my UX1. For monitoring, I set up one of the reverbs in the Line 6 Gearbox interface so the sound was better for the player. But we recorded dry so that different effects could be added later. We got great results. You could use a similar approach when mic'ing your guitar amp.

Monitoring using the line outs or headphone socket on Line 6 units will give you essentially direct monitoring, so you don’t need to use low latency settings. You also have the advantage that you can use the Line 6 sounds (e.g. amps, compressors, reverb etc) for monitoring, but you can set things up to record dry and add different effects later.

When I got Revalver MK3, I decided I generally preferred to sounds to the Line 6 sounds, so I got an Edirol FA-66 Firewire Interface so I could monitor through Reaper using the Revalver sounds. The trouble is, on my computer, the minimum total latency I could get was about 12ms, which isn’t good enough for me.

I’ve gone back to using my UX1 as my Audio interface. I monitor with the Line 6 sounds but record dry. Then I add the sounds and effects to the recorded part later. So for example, with guitar, I monitor using the Line 6 amp and effect sounds but record dry. Then I include Revalver as a fx in the track.

If you've already got a Pod X3, I think the only significant reason to change to a mixer is if you needed to record a number of instruments at the same time.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 09-10-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: typo
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote