View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #111
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
no offense taken, to be honest, I don't really care that much what the name of stuff is because it's fairly simple what i'm doing here, so it shouldn't be too confusing.
Exactly my point. So throw out any names that don't make sense to *you* asap and use whatever name that *does* makes sense to you.
Quote:
Not sure I understand exactly the definition of name space.
That simply means: the set of names of the OSC addresses you are using to send OSC messages to. See here.
Quote:
I don't mind the whole page thing, except for what you mentioned exactly. What happens if I have the same thing twice? I don't mind redundant code, but, I just don't want to mess things up.
It's not about redundant code, but about redundant network traffic. And it can be quite important to minimise network traffic, especially if you would use wi-fi or bluetooth. Indeed, it is a good recipe for getting things messed up. So, again, don't use those retarded page numbers.

Quote:
I'm not sure how to write it correctly.

I understand the s/trkvolval thing. I couldn't find it before, and wasn't sure what it did. But I get it now, I actually don't mind that nomenclature, the abbreviations make sense, that seems pretty standard sort of thing in programing for that type of definition.
But this is not programming, it is about giving things names that make sense. Sure, using abbreviations is fine. Concatenating "trk", "vol", and "val" into one abbreviation doesn't, at least if one intends to preserve the ability to use the different parts of the address for efficiently routing OSC traffic. I guess that doesn't matter much for a simple application like TouchOSC, though.
Quote:
So Awesome. All I need to do now, is get those double commands working. (should I just enter the capitalization part twice? or just string on another entry with a different page after the previous?)
Well, you could copy the capitalised stuff ten times, if that's what you want. OSC allows you to use really stupid names. But, short answer: NO. Do not copy any capitalised parts at all, as that only makes it confusing. You are not allowed to change REAPER's OSC action descriptions - which are all written in ALL_CAPS_WITH_UNDERSCORES style. So it's much more clear to avoid using ALL_CAPS_WITH_UNDERSCORES for the addressess, i.e. the parts that you *are* allowed to change, so you can easily distinguish between the OSC action description and the corresponding address to use for it.

AND DO NOT USE THOSE RETARDED PAGE NUMBERS.
Quote:
and then figure out how to put my loop on a toggle that gets the toggle info from reaper, and how to setup FX Bypass for the master track.

can I just choose any arbitrary number for my device action? I'm worried about conflicts.
If you mean an action in REAPER, no. You have to use its Cmd ID.
Quote:
I can get the toggle button to toggle my loop on or off, but the state of reaper is not replicated in the state of the toggle on my device. Not sure how to get that at this point.
There is no feedback for REAPER actions (yet, anyway).