View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #163
Joystick
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
"Another Videogame Audio Designer here."

Can anybody explain shortly what is different when working as videogame audio designer? What would be a typical workflow, written step by step?
Recording or Sampled Libraries -> Importing
Then Hell brakes loose:
Usually we need many samples per action, like i.e. if you need to have a shotgun sound maybe 4-12 different sound variation for that action only, then each one different eq, pitch, stretching and each one is a region.

Now imagine a big session for all guns, usually it's like 100-500 regions with different plugins on each part and channels, subgrouping.

And the big thing is that you have to keep every different sound to each lowest sampling rate when exporting because that way you make the game engine lighter in sound and you can play more sounds without sacrificing resources.

Also other optimizations maybe needed, like different voices from different actors in order to localize the game (make different audio for each country) but you need them to pass from the same plugins.

Long story short, I always end up with 500-3000 regions per session, 30 sessions per project (without localization) and I need to export them asap in their own directories with different export/sampling rate, etc settings for each sound.

Before Reaper I was considering to change carrier (just kidding, I love my job) but now its the chance to make this real!
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote