View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #19
DarkKman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
OK this is yet another level of complexity (can you do that in Forte ?)
Yes. I'm probably "preaching to the converted" but Forte uses 'Scenes' to take a snapshot of Instrument tracks (your VSTi) and Bus tracks (Hardware audio outputs) including MIDI routings, inputs, keyboard ranges etc. You can also set your Instrument track to ONLY change if the scene is different from the last. This means that if you use the same Instrument in one scene and the next scene doesn't make any changes, it will allow you to hold a note with no break. All other Instruments tracks can change, routings, keyboard range, mute status etc. This makes it very powerful (not quite as configurable as Cantabile perhaps) but for my performances does everything I need EXCEPT the audio backing tracks - hence this thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I see. But I don't see what exactly would be a way you could want to interact with the software on such behalf. If we can make Reaper set the play cursor and start/stop appropriately on your commands (while still allowing for being used as a Forte-like VST player at the same time), I am sure that the details can be taken care of.
Good point! This feature for rehearsing I wouldn't need any controllers, I'd anticipate and be happy to use the laptop mouse to move the cursor in the audio playback where I need to play from. Nothing fancy needed here. Just the ability to "mix" the audio (control levels, fx, etc) and VSTs (I route these to seperate Bus tracks in Forte I would imagine the same process in Reaper. The issue is how to manage each "Scene" and song in Reaper. I like to have each Song prepared as a module if you like so I don't have to import each stem over and over again if the set changes - tabs will allow this but still need a way to "perform" with the VSTs (switch patches etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
can you give more detail:

Not clear what a 'layer' means to you...

I can imagine ways to do the switch patches... [possibly in a diff way than most would think of]

but then again ... how many diff patches? How often do they switch?
When I refer to a layer I think of how synths layer up sounds. So a similar concept of keyboard ranges only having multiple keyboards sounds layered on top of each other rather than split. So e.g. Playing a synth sound from Omnisphere from C1 - C3 while also playing a piano from Kontakt from C1 - C3 also. And very keen to hear about switching patches etc... In one song I may only do this three of four times (Verse->Chorus->Verse->Bridge using different sounds perhaps. But also different keyboard ranges (splits/layers) and different sounds). I have played with some of the JSFX which filter MIDI and assume that I could save these as Reaper patches/presets, I just need a way to trigger these using my controller (AKAI MPK261). Preferably using a simple "Next" and "Back" type button (which is how I envisioned the "LiveConfigs" working...
DarkKman is offline   Reply With Quote