View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #42
Dork Lard
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
You need to watch that video series. It'll help you 1) understand what mastering is, and 2) provide valuable insights about it including methods and plugins you'll be using. Until you watch all those videos, asking further questions here is just spinning your wheels. If anything you need a better grasp of what mastering is, and some of that advice and techniques (some of which seems obvious but actually isn't), and then you can ask more specific/detailed questions and not just vague "hey guys how do you master?"-sort of questions.

As with your other threads about mixing/production, it's not really about specific plugins / gear which are "perfect for mastering" and far more about your knowledge and experience. Like, not even close.
watched the whole vid. I know you're going to say "it doesn't seem like it given this thread etc..." but it really was a totally basic video. There are really advanced techniques for mastering out there, even on YT, that can really boost your mix. Obviously having 10 or 15 plugins in your mastering chain is overkill, and one should refrain from that, but there -are- advanced mastering techniques out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
I have been exploring and enjoying a bit of M/S eq on my 2Bus.

I definitely agree with the general opinion that a great mix is what you need to get yourself like 90% of the way there. But I do still find it beneficial to run processes across the entire mix. It changes from project to project, of course. But I find that careful m/s Eq on the master can really make a mix shine. I'm using PA's 2098, but you can of course use whatever you like. I think you definitely have to be careful with this too, and check your mixes in mono and other device etc.

Anyway, I do I have to parrot everyone else and say it's really about knowledge, experience and learning about processes as a whole. M/S equalization is hardly a casual 'trick'. The Dan Worrall video on the subject is, of course, superb.

Another thing I've been playing around with is mixing into a compressor on the master. For projects with a stable and simple arrangement, i find it very effective. If a project is really long or changes a lot, then less so.
I've watched a few vids on mid/side and still get confused with the results I get in real time using that on FabFilter Q3. But it has come in handy, especially for the low end in mastering, so yes, I'd say that's another thing that seems to be really interesting to consider while mastering a track, however well mixed it may be.

maxdembo
Yeah, see like, compression on the master bus I've found really helpful even if I got the dynamics of a mix alright in the first place. It just grabs every instrument in a mix, and adds that extra layer of character but it's very subtle, something like the Waves SSL Bus Compressor say, and brings out a tad of those transients without it sounding sharp and fake.
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote