View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #48
reapercurious
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
You are maybe confusing DPC latency with audio latency. There is only a faint connection between these two as in "raising ASIO buffers may or may not help avoiding dropouts due to DPC related usurpation of the CPU".
"Thesycon's DPC Latency Checker is a Windows tool that analyses the capabilities of a computer system to handle real-time data streams properly. It -MAY- help to find the cause for interruptions in real-time audio and video streams, also known as drop-outs."

If you are using a laptop, there will be a battery monitoring service (acpi battery method.) As for my own laptop (dell inspiron 1720,) and for another friend who has a gateway laptop, the infamous (and MADDENING!!) dropouts and gaps in firewire audio completely disappear as a direct result of disabling this service. That evil service can cause giant spikes in latency every 20 or 30 seconds. Also, disabling the wifi brought our numbers even lower. Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

i didnt know there was a difference between one stream of data or another, as far as a computer is concerned. if you feel like explaining that, i am all ears. well, uh, eyes.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote