View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #93
Naji
Human being with feelings

Thank you for your reply, Mr Gioia.

We also have to consider the fact that you live or work in a professional world, this means that you usually get high quality mixes, but there are engineers who have to master good and bad mixes, so a brickwall limiter for them maybe is not enough.
Itīs also how one defines "mastering" and I prefer your definition, but itīs the definition of a professional, of course.

For me there is only one miracle, I sometimes also check mixes or listen to Music on laptop speakers, although they are tiny and not really good.
But one example:

Very often I listened to two professional mixes that both sound great on pretty good consumer speakers and also on studio speakers.
And now the strange thing:
as soon as you listen on laptop speakers, one mix might still sound great, you hear every instrument clearly, but the other mix does not sound great any more on laptop Speakers, and it is mainly a problem with bass, synth bass or eBass , as well, you do not hear the bass any more on laptop speakers.

And some time ago I read in a mag about mastering and they said you can not please all speakers, thatīs not possible, you have to know the target for your mix or master - will the consumers listen on Laptop speakers?, is the mix for a movie Soundtrack or DVD or is it for a Club?. Thatīs what they wrote.

I also think a new mastering tutorial does not make sense, wheras a Reaper/JS - plugins tutorial would be nice.

Last edited by Naji; 02-18-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote