View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #33
Magicbuss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Depends what you're doing, doesn't it? Some metal has totally spanked and castrated bass because they want the low end chug to come from the guitar cabs. Or you might have drastically high-passed guitars throughout a song, but there's a bit where they play without the bass so you bring the low end back in that section... there's a lot of possibilities and no hard and fast rules.
Yup. One of the big questions every mixer has to answer early in the process is WHAT is going to dominate the low end. Kick? Bass? Detuned guitars?

That last one is a bitch. Some metal bands have detuned/baritone guitars down to low A. You essentially have THREE bass players and the kick to juggle. I think this is where that obnoxious "fieldy" bass tone came from. Korn had detuned heavily distorted guitars and for the bass to be heard they decided to go "drastic" on the bass EQ.

One of the first bands I ever recorded was a cookie monster band. The recording and mix were horrible but i learned alot (like 57's dont really capture detuned guitars very well and 5 string bass + detuned guitars is probably a BAD idea)
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote