View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #739
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnb View Post
I'm also trying out a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio on another partition (dual boot). One thing I've run into so far is that, in jack on the "connections" window, my keyboard is under the ALSA tab, and Reaper's MIDI in is on the MIDI tab.

There doesn't seem to be a way to connect the keyboard on the ALSA tab to Reaper on the MIDI tab...

UPDATE: It looks like you have to set the MIDI Driver in Jack Setup to make midi_capture appear in the MIDI tab, which can then be linked to Reaper. Not sure the difference between seq and raw though for MIDI driver. Also found mention of a a2jmidid online.

UPDATE 2: Got Kontakt working on the Ubuntu Studio (with the low latency kernel) through reaper. Still getting xruns (clicks and pops) once I've added about the third patch to a single Kontakt. Still using Linvst, since the Carla win VST thing doesn't seem to detect the Windows Kontakt DLLs.

Are you using outside apps for sounds to add to reaper via jack? Because if not I don't see the point in using jack at all when you can use alsa. I have one particular project running with 17 instances of kontakt (I prefer to use separate instances per instrument rather than multiple inst in one kontakt) some uhe synths & various other fx plugins per track at 128 samples using alsa & the cpu is barely going over 45% use.

I don't even use the realtime kernel, the standard kernel is pretty decent now. Although I'd probably use the RT kernel it I was recording multiple audio sources at the same time. Of course this wouldn't be possible without the great linvst from osxmidi.