View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #47
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Good to know. I plan to buy some weather sensors for my Pi just to dink around and write my own weather monitoring app for kicks.
One of the original use cases for all of this was to try to figure out if an atmospheric condition called "tropospheric ducting" was at play. Weather is hard.

Quote:
Quite an elaborate setup! One of my last projects before cutting loose from the workforce was writing values to RFID tags as they printed, then using them so a whole show case of merchandise could be inventoried with a quick wave of an RFID reader. That's the extent of my experience with radio stuff and programming.
I came into the railroads about six years ago out of the internet dot com space. I fully expected dudes with coal shovels and boilers and stuff. I was genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised at just how much technical sophistication and maturity the roads have. Then I considered that they basically invented the first air gap interface (that being a hook on a pole used to catch the mail bucket at stops in the west) and it made more sense.

Behold, the precursor to the cell phone!

Quote:
It's obviously the gee wow factor. I mean, if I were to bring an eight channel audio interface to remote location for recording a live event, bringing a laptop wouldn't be much less convenient than bringing a Pi. But then, why is REAPER available for a Raspberry Pi if it is of no value?
I often ask that question regarding Reaper on Linux as a whole. But I guess there are enough "gee wow" people that want it to make it worth the effort.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote