View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #2223
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by for View Post
The synths mentioned on the first page and basically all plugins listed

to protect the end user

shouldn't you mention if they are permitted for commercial usage or not to be used in songs to be released commercially?

is it up to the user to perform such search?
if so it should be written on top of the post

because many users will assume free means you are allowed to use them commercially but this is not always the case as far i understand
Who wishes to go back through the contracts of any tracks they made in the past in case they used plugins from developers that had oddball ideas like that?

To my knowledge if they have that policy it's not in the small print, it's upfront, writ large!
I'm unaware of any actually free plugins that have that oddball commercial use caveat - lower price commercial releases yes. As soon as I see that though anyway I simply ignore the plugin - way too many already to bother with that nonsense. YMMV.

Yes, the only examples I can think of are reduced price commercial deals. There is an OBX style synth plug-in with a special price for musicians creating non-commercial releases. I have plenty of ways of making the Oberheim type sound anyway, so that didn't appeal.

Stilwell also have some funky special prices specifically for Reaper customers, also it is for non-commercial use only as I recall. To be fair you can argue it's a bit like student discounts, only a more universal application.
Given all the price shafted and free plugins today this all feels a bit quaint.

I'm sure there's a few outlier commercial contracts with plugins too, if you read the fine print, even for full price commercial releases. Whether this stuff ever gets genuinely policed - and policed successfully that's another matter!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote