View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #82
xpander
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Again I ask if there's an impediment to making play button also be stop ?

We are all used to spacebar play/stop behaviour, match it in on screen?
We only need to stop playback when there's playback.
Correct, but what do you want to happen with that "stop"? When on playback, Reaper Stop is also RTZ (Return to Zero)...or in Reaper more accurately, return to current edit cursor position. And some people don't want that either, but rather what you get currently with Pause. That is, pause the playback and move the edit cursor to current (pause) location.

You can also currently hit Play button during the playback to go immediately back to the edit cursor and continuing from there. So the kind of Play/Stop combi button suggested here cannot be made without further thoughts and changing current Reaper features, which makes this clearly a FR. Just some thoughts in a case you really want to push that forward...

---

As for the changed transport control order like it stands currently, it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. But I'm a bit surprised about the hoopla. While there are some common ways transport buttons are arranged, there is clearly not one golden standard everybody follows. Not amongst the DAWs nor controllers, and funnily enough, not even between some HW controllers and their own software. Instead of trying to fit square heads into round holes, I think the proper way is to acknowledge what we actually have in Reaper and continue finding ways to improve that. Comparing to other things which don't even have the same features just doesn't make much sense. Imho, of course.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote