View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #4
pljones
Human being with feelings

I don't know how you managed to get 1.9.3 as 1.9.4 is what's easiest to find on the Jack Downloads page http://jackaudio.org/download .

I must agree that bundling the installer in with the rest of the source, etc, is needlessly tedious.

No, Jack will use your system default sound subsystem by default... which is probably basic Windows Audio.

You need to click the QJackCtl "Setup" button to go into setup.

In "Server Path", change it to "jackd -S -X winmme" (I forget what -S does; -X winmme adds MIDI support). Change the driver to "portaudio". Change the "Input Device" (using the ">" button) to your ASIO driver of choice (actually, I'm using DirectSound and find it's okay but I recommend ASIO if you have it). Repeat for "Output Device".

Note that Jack won't change sample rate whilst running: it is rate locked. So set the Sample Rate to the most appropriate value.

Flip along to the Misc tab; tick appropriately. I don't like being asked if it's okay to close and shutdown jack, so I untick those. I like the tray icon, so I tick that and start up minimised to tray.

Click the tick, then stop (if needed) and start Jack.

Now start Reaper. Bring up the Audio Device panel. Set the ASIO Driver to JackRouter; the default ins and outs should be okay.

If you open the QJackCtl Connections window, you should see that "reaper" has connected outputs to "system". Which is OK for a start. Add a track and set it up to take input from Reaper's input pair.

Now over to Live. (Or, in my case, MU.LAB.) Follow the same procedure as with Reaper to configure JackRouter.

Back over in QJackCtl, you'll see Live has also connected to the first two "system" outputs. We want to connect through Reaper, though. Simple. In the QJackCtl Connections window:
*) Click "Live" (or however it's identified) on the left.
*) Click "reaper" on the right.
*) Click the Connect button.
*) Click "system" on the right.
*) Click the Disconnect button.

Test it by loading up a project in Live and playing back.

(The QJackCTL patch bay lets you save a set of connections... but it's far from perfect.)
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote