View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 05:12 AM   #16
EcBaPr
Human being with feelings

i played around with this around 6-7 years back. I cant remember all the exact details but I did get totalmix faders and most other basic functions being controlled via midi out from reaper.. I have a UFX which has two midi ports so I did a cable loopback on one port and then it was just a matter of sending midi CC's on different channels to change totalmix functions.. i did it with a hardware cable but you could probably use midi loopback software.. there was some documentation for it in the UFX manual showing what CCs change what functions.. My other memory was that not everything was controllable via midi but most things were..

Prior to trying the midi route i also tried to get OSC from reaper to totalmix happening with no success.. I had OSC working with various apps on tablets but i couldn't get it sending out of reaper into totalmix.. that might have been my lack of knowledge but i also didn't stick with it for long when i found out that totalmix doesn't have global control. That means you only have access to 8 channels at a time so if you are changing channel 2 fader level and you want to change channel 10 fader i think you have to send a bank change message first and then send a second message to control fader 10.. this is a problem if you want to do two things simultaneously and they aren't on the same group of 8..

i also recall this being messy if you are creating a layout in an OSC app because if you want to use more than 8 channels you have to send two messages to do one thing.. A button may only be able to send one message at a time so you have to create two buttons for one function.. Those are my recollections, it was messy and i remember thinking global OSC control needed to be implemented by RME but so far from what i know it hasn't happened..

EDIT: the second post on this page has the details for what midi messages control totalmix
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24437

Last edited by EcBaPr; 07-19-2020 at 05:57 AM.
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote