View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #356
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
I totally disagree with this because looking in the actions window and finding the action id# then just sending /action/##### is the most logical way to do it. What would be the purpose in REAPER *not* responding to such and OSC message?
For example, one might want to make sure REAPER listens to device one, but not to device two. One may have multiple instances of REAPER and select which one should respond. Or perhaps that message is already in use by other clients/servers.

The method you describe is indeed simple, however, it does not enable feedback. So it may be the most logical way to set up a one way binding, but that has nothing to do with my point, configurability of the directionality of messages. The (hypothetical) combination of examples is not intended as how actions should ideally be set up (and I definitely did not mean to imply that enabling feedback should always be combined with disabling reception, if that is how you understood it), but simply to illustrate that both sending and receiving should be individually configurable. Are you totally disagreeing with that general point, the specific examples, or both?

If you would want to enable feedback for one particular action, relying on the general /action/@ pattern alone would be highly problematic, since enabling feedback for the entire pattern would imply that each and every action in REAPER would send an OSC message every time it is performed. The general point is that "all actions are receive only" is quite restrictive, and "all actions send feedback" would be overkill.