View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #68
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
While there is a lot of great and correct info in this thread, one very important thing seems to be overlooked. It was mentioned but not highlighted enough.

While I could be wrong, I have an incredibly hard time believing that any mic pre made today actually gets noisier the louder you raise the gain. Sure. You're bringing up noise, but you're also bringing up the signal. So nothing is being fixed by lowering your mic preamp. And if it's too low, you will lose some resolution but the bigger point here is that I simply don't believe that the preamp in question has a better S/N ration when it's hitting the DAW at -30dB or lower. Doesn't make sense. If you want less noise, sing louder. LOL
^^^This.

One of the differences between class A mic preamps and more budget models is how they respond at the extremes of their input. Going for the hottest level possible without overs is still a bit critical with budget preamps. You can set your class A preamp -36 below unity on the hottest peak and be none the wiser. You'll hear that with a more budget preamp (like the 2 preamps in the MOTU 8287mk3 for example).

Confusion leading to twisting the -18db rms around into attenuating until your peak level is -18db (or -30db!) will result in a noisier and less linear capture. Do that on the budget interfaces with their budget analog front ends and you'll hear that.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote