View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #31
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator!

In fact some calls are faster on wine than windows, AFAIK there are even games that run better than on windows. I think the main questions today are: does it work, is it a hassle to install, and what kind of execution latency does it have on the audio processing. There is also a lot of work being done on wine to make it faster and more complete, but mainly for running games rather than VST plugins, still we'll likely benefit too.
My kid is a gamer and runs mostly Windows games using Steam on Arch. Also hooked me up with "Dirt Rally for Linux" so I'd have something to tax my new machine with coz REAPER ain't doing it!

Turns out my video card is a dog and can only run the game with low detail rendering, but I figgered that would be the case. Does give me an excuse to buy a PCIe 4.0 video card though, since my new machine supports it.

Quote:
My biggest beef with LinVST is how long it takes to load a big project with a lot of VSTs.
What is a lot of VSTs to you? My test project with 11 Windows VSTi's just took about 7-8 seconds to load from scratch with none of it cached in memory. That was longer than most of my projects load time, but I usually only have 5-6 VSTi's in most projects.

Quote:
Ideally software companies would also produce (at least) VST3 versions of their software. It's ironic that some are made with JUICE and would require little or no work to recompile for linux. Waves audio processing runs on linux natively for their soundgrid hardware..
That blew me away when you said Superior is JUCE and could be compiled with little effort for Linux. I'd pay an upgrade price to Superior 3 if they included Linux support. As it is, I have Superior 2 working fine, so there is no incentive for me to upgrade to something that will not be native, and will be more hassle to install. I've bought hundreds of dollars of new native Linux audio plugins, but Kontakt and Superior there is no substitute in a native Linux VSTi.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote