View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #37
Robert Randolph
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I get it and I know exactly what you're describing now. It falls under the super-nitpicky for me. I'll give points that it changes your auditioning of other takes but when I am right there in daily real life, I'm going to be done and moved on really quickly because before I need to move that take and subsequent split, I already am past a point where I'd need to care about the fade of the other takes - I move it, listen to the timing not the fade and that part is finished. The order doesn't matter to me, just that evaluating both at the same time isn't needed. IOW, I already know which fades work best before I decide to edit the timing of the one take - because the very first time I hear each of those fades, I've made a judgment call about them. Can't fully kick it to the curb since I'm sure that is just one example but it does show some of why it's not something I'd ever hit beyond the rare case.

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to piss on it, it's just so many of these don't affect me and was wondering why; at least I see why for some of them.

I understand what you're saying in how you avoid this issue, but you're missing a key component here, and I assume that's my fault for not communicating it clearly.

Sometimes it's necessary to move takes around to adjust the timing before evaluating the quality.

So maybe there's a take that sounds nearly perfect. The singer hit the note, the drummer hit the snare right, the bassist didn't fall over in his chair, etc... BUT the timing is just slightly off.

In order to properly evaluate that potentially perfect take against all others in that take stack, it needs to be time shifted. Then I can check and make sure it actually fits inside the track. Then I can start comping.

And may the Lord help you if you had comps done already, you did a punch-in to a take, and the take you need to shift was recorded over a split. Now you're really in trouble. Slip editing won't save you in this case even if it was appropriate.

Yes, I understand that there's workarounds, but they are all extra work, require you to settle for a non-optimal result or are a source of errors immediately or down the line. Neither of those things are something that's acceptable in a working studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
As far as the large image and theme issues you can call that super nitpicky as well. It's just an animated GIF though, anything that can resize that without tossing frames would do it.
I think that currently it should look ok? I adjusted some sizes.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote