View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings

This may be useful to watch, as time moves on:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pipewire/

After some preparatory steps gleaned from pipewire topics, I used synaptic to install pipewire in ubuntu studio 20.04, if only to avoid being found knee-deep in the tarpits of time, and used pw-jack to prefix commands to run qjackctl, rakarrack, and linux reaper etc.

But pw never would stop connecting first to the motherboard audio chip port,
which I never use, when it was supposed to detect my default maudio pci soundcard, and manually reconnecting things in qjackctl did not help as expected, again, poor soundcard support. The card works perfectly in normal use.

Next, a mini trainwreck ensued when I used synaptic to uninstall pipewire. Audio was left totally unusable, and after too much (partially) wasted time, it was clearly faster/better to nuke the partition
and install the latest AVLinux. I'll put the newer Ubuntu Studio 20.10x on an external drive later on.

My peanut gallery prediction is pw will fail* without a full-featured config gui, linked with a matching text-based config file, much like qjackctl gui and the .jackdrc text file. Without these in place, and SOON, there will be more trainwrecks, only with longer trains, more costly cleanups, and a longer list of audio canundrums facing those few willing to try linux audio.

* failure is an ungly and imprecise description. To the vast numbers of audio hobbyists/pros using mac/win for creating music/video, using linux is a steroidal failure based on just the headcount and sales figures. For those of us happily and daily using linux to such ends, the current status quo has improved slightly, but requires ongoing vigilance, and still drives away more new users than it keeps. Not that some of them don't richly deserve windows 10. And the other richly just keep buying macs. I value freedom, and will promote the system that best secures it.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote