View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
bjohn
Human being with feelings

The advantage of the Mini is that you get to use whatever monitor you like, and when the computer dies you don't have to throw away a perfectly good monitor. The disadvantage to the Mini is that the iMac is generally more powerful.

However the new Mac Mini is a very capable machine for music production. There are people running ProTools and Logic on it with 100+ tracks and reporting no problems; see this long thread on gearslutz: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...-cores-41.html

It initially had some audio glitches that were fixed in an update. If you want a Mini, I would look for a refurbished 2018 Mini from the Apple Store. The older Minis from 2013/2014 are not likely to be a great choice for your purposes unless you can get the i7 processor and max out the RAM. If you buy refurbished note that you're stuck with whatever RAM came with the machine; they're not upgradeable. If you buy new at least you can specify RAM; I'd go for at least 16 GB in your case.

I only buy refurbished Apple products (and most other electronics) and have never had a problem -- Apple's refurbs are in many cases brand new machines returned in unopened boxes and they all come with the same 1 year warranty as a new device. You save a bit of money, sometimes quite a bit (I saved close to $1,000 on my current Mac Pro 2013 "trashcan" by buying refurbished from the Apple online store).

Last edited by bjohn; 05-06-2019 at 09:49 AM.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote