View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #76
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yes, that's a great link, thanks brainwreck. I watched about a half dozen of the jazz vids. I'm going to book mark it for myself, as well as a reference for others.

I think Videos like that can be very helpful for folks who are trying to learn how to program their own drums.
Yea, I could see those videos being helpful for thinking about programming drums. Another aspect of learning to program drums might be, developing a personal library of beats and fills as a means for learning and as a basis for programming your own parts. It can be very educational to collect songs with drums that you like personally, reconstructing the drum parts in MIDI. I have done some of this, and it is helpful (although tedious) to first tempo map the parts of the song that are most interesting, or the whole song. I would suggest only tempo mapping main parts and programming those to begin with. Going whole hog in the beginning can kill enthusiasm. And spread the work over some time, rather than trying to program a whole drum track in one go. There is alot of little bits about drumming that a beginner drum programmer is going to have problems with, not to mention developing a workflow. I can't say that I have gotten too in depth with programming drums myself, but I have definitely put in some time with it.