Thread: New DDP Export
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
timlloyd
Human being with feelings

Default New DDP Export

Quote:
v4.0alpha66 - April 20 2011

+ DDP export plug-in (thanks to Sergej Marsnjak!)
///

I'm merging previous comments into this thread for clarity.

Let's discuss the new DDP plug-in and potential consequent features

///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergenious View Post
Well this Sergej is me
Unfortunately there seams to be no free DDP import tool. However, I used 30-day trial version of Sonoris DDP Creator to test the files.
Quote:
Yes, DDP2.0.
Currently there is no import, maybe it will be somewhere in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
The DDP export is a brilliant new feature. However, it's unnecessarily complex for the user imo.

Is it possible to have a "DDP edit/setup" window that allows the user to actually set up the DDP markers etc... that works like the Sonoris DDP creator?

I don't know how complex it would be to create it, but if DDP output is already available, it doesn't seem to me that it would be very difficult to package up the guts of it into a better interface than creating lots of markers with specific names that are easy to screw up ...

A list-view like the Sonoris, that when edited would shift the audio on a given track around and create the necessary markers for us would be very very useful
Quote:
It is a little harder to make edit screen without interference with the default marker usage. For some, creating markers is easier and more intuitive, as this is in the time domain, others prefer the list.
However, a feature could be at least to display the (readonly) list of tracks with INDEX positions and meta data. But if the list is editable, it can make the conflict with the markers, if the markers are moved after the track list is edited.

Yes, to fully use the markers, it can be a little complex. But if you don't need INDEX0, ISRC, EAN, you can just use # markers, as for CUE/BIN export. Other metadata is optional.
Quote:
Would it really be difficult to have an editable list that was itself updated by the manual moving of markers? They would both update each other - maybe I'm not understanding the issue with this?

Also very useful (arguably essential) would be RedBook compliance checking of the DDP set that would result from the current marker set.

... and burning straight to CD from the DDP render window as well ...

I'm asking a lot, I know, but such a feature begs for additional functionality in order to be reliable and useful for the majority of users.

Maybe a dedicated DDP discussion thread is a good idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
What about sws including it in their marker window (that's unless the new region window in reaper gets some love)
Quote:
Redbook compliance is ensured by automatically correcting the tracks to conform the specification.
To make the both-way editable list <--> markers, it would need a little more integration into the REAPER, and more programming time
Quote:
Would both of those things be possible?
Quote:
Possible, yes, but now only theoretically.
It is not recommended, that some export plugin is changing the markers. The export plugin should only change the output file, but leave the session intact.

What I see as an option, is editable list, which is always filled automatically by reading the markers. But, if this list is edited manually, then the markers will not affect the list anymore, unless some "reset list" button is pressed.

But, there is not enough time to make this feature soon . Maybe in the near future....

P.S.: you can open a dedicated thread.
Quote:
This begins to sounds like it doesn't belong as a plug-in, but rather as an actual part of the REAPER application :-/

That's what I was going to suggest initially.

Is your plug-in going to be distributed with R4 by default? It seems so, in which case I really don't understand why it's not just completely integrated.

///

Re. the automatic RedBook enforcement - what if someone wanted to generate a DDP set that would duplicate and work correctly, while actually violating RedBook, such as having a hidden pre-index 1 track? It seems like the type of thing that might be better as an separate optional "check compatibility" and subsequent "force conform" functions if that makes sense.
Quote:
No no, this is not violating the Redbook. The hidden track is completely standard. You just create INDEX0 marker at the 0:00, and INDEX1 (track start) anywhere after 2 seconds. The audio between 0:00 and the first INDEX1 is the hidden track.
///

Disregard my bit about auto RedBook enforcing, as it seems to be a great idea

///

comments?

Last edited by timlloyd; 04-21-2011 at 06:15 AM.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote