View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #26
mewsac
Human being with feelings

"A producer gives a musician focus by really digging into why the songs were written and what their purpose is. A producer enhances the songwriters' love for the songs as much as possible so that when it's time to record it's like hot sex." pixeltarian

How timely this thread is. My wife has just started recording her 'first' album, working with the guy that plays guitar with her on gigs. He is Producing, Engineering, Arranging, etc. So last week I went over to sit in on a session, and see what goes on. My God, it was an eyeopener! When it came to recording a vocal, he was basically giving her singing tuition/coaching, teaching her HOW to sing her own song, because he had deceided to arrange it in a style which she never normally works in. He was pushing her to bring out the meaning of the lyric, which she hadn't been doing in her performance, even though she wrote the d**n song! So it was pass after pass of the same thing until it was staring to sound right. I mean, I've tried recording her songs at home, with some sucess, but we just didn't WORK as hard as that! It was too easy to just call it a night, too tired to go on, etc.
Great thread, yep. Thank you.
mewsac is offline   Reply With Quote