View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Andy Hamm
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Now you see the digital board makers desperately adding iPad control to their boards to try to keep up. It's end of life for stand alone hardware products now. That's how it looks to me anyway.
Digital Consoles will never be replaced with DAWs, unless a company comes along and makes a standard, and it cannot be monkeyed with too much from the end users standpoint.

A DAW system like the one you and I have, and many other's out there have spun up, work fine when the owner is the one using it, but it isn't something that I would thrust upon any of my peers.

The live industry is based on standards, and while the Live DAW may be capable, it is anything but standard. You can imagine what would happen if Soundcos started turning out Live DAWs based on whatever hardware was cheap and plentiful and using the expertise found in forums and tutorials - it would be a disaster.

It takes a tech that is familiar with the DAW, the hardware, the OS and the protocols to make the whole thing work reliably enough to use. Most people won't want to trust a PC as they generally use them to try to do everything and they stuff them with every piece of free software they can get their hands on and then blame the machine when it becomes unstable. This would definitely be the case with live DAWs and people trying to use whatever free do-hicky vst they downloaded for free on the internet if there wasn't someone around to baby sit and keep things stable.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote